Manchester United had finished 6th last season in the Premier League but they had won the Europa League and had got the direct chance to play in the Champions League this term. The team have to play in 4 different competitions this seasons. So the squad depth is needed badly for the side to remain a strong title contender through out the season.
Here’s have a look who are in and who are out in their squad for this season.
MAIN ADDITIONS :
1. Romelu Lukaku : The Belgian forward was in the pole of attraction in this transfer window through out. Manchester United faced strong competition from Chelsea for signing this player. After much drama, Lukaku decided to join United from Everton with a transfer fee of £75m.
2. Nemanja Matic : United needed a defensive midfielder to complete their squad. The Serbian midfielder had played under the coaching of Mou at Chelsea in 2014-15 season, the season when Chelsea lifted the trophy. They decided to reunite again at United when Chelsea had signed Bakayoako as a replacement of Matic. The player had joined United with a transfer fee of £40m this season.
3. Victor Lindelof : The central defender joined United from Benfica at around 31 million pounds. A very good inclusion to their squad as they needed a player in the central back position.
4. Zlatan Ibrahimovic : Ibrahimovic was a free agent after his contract expired this season at Manchester United. He joined United this season as a back up option for Romelu Lukaku for the long season ahead.
1. Adnan Januzaj : Januzaj was sold to Real Socieadad this season at around 9.8 million pounds after being loaned out to Sunderland last season.
2. Wayne Rooney : Rooney was not getting his chance regularly in the first XI of United last season. So the United legend had decided to join his boyhood club Everton this season. The transfer fee of this deal was undisclosed as sources were saying that the player was a part of the Romelu Lukaku deal.
3. Cameron Borthwick Jackson : The player was loaned out to Leeds United this season.
4. Timothy Fosu-Mensah : Fosu-Mensah was loaned out to Crystal Palace this season to give a chance to the young prospect to flourish.
5. Sam Johnstone : The player was loaned to Aston Villa this season.
The overall transfer window was good for United. They have now got back ups for all positions in the field. The addition of Matic will give Paul Pogba a more free role in the attacking third and it could be pivotal for United. I would rate the summer transfer window of United 7 out of 10 and would consider them a strong title contender of English Premier League with a strong hope of going to the latter stages of the Champions League.
The Red Devils will face off against Stoke City on the 9th of September and will want to be a bit cautious of the Potters, who have already beaten Arsenal in their second match of the season. Though the Manchester based side are in much better form, they will not want to drop any easy points, any time soon.