Liverpool finished at 4th last season in the premier league above Arsenal and they had got a chance to play in the UEFA Champions League after many years as they had beaten German side Hoffenheim in the Champions League playoff this season. They hope to finish in the top four this season also with the pressure of the top quality European football.
Here’s have a look whom they include and whom they exclude in this summer transfer window.
1. Mohamed Salah : The biggest inclusion of their side in this window was Salah. The winger had proven himself at AS Roma last season after a scary spell at Chelsea few seasons back. Liverpool signed this winger at around £36.9m of transfer fee.
2. Alex Oxlade Chamberlain : The English Midfielder had chosen Liverpool ahead of Chelsea this season as he wished to play in the central midfield position instead of wingback position. He was signed at around £35m from Arsenal this season.
3. Andrew Robertson : The defender signed for Arsenal at £8m of transfer fees this season from Hull City.
4. Dominic Solanke : Smart buy for Liverpool. The young prospect was a free agent and signed for Liverpool this season from Chelsea.
5. Naby Keita : The player had been brought to arrive in the next summer from German side RB Leipzig at around £55m of transfer fee.
1. Mamadou Sakho : The defender was sold to Crystal Palace this season at around £26m of transfer fee. Not a very ideal deal for Liverpool as they are vulnerable defensively.
2. Kevin Stewart : The player had been sold to Hull City at £5.4m to Hull City.
3. Lucas Leiva : After spending so many years at Liverpool the Brazilian midfielder finally decided to join Italian side Lazio this season at around £5m of transfer fee.
4. Andre Wisdom : The player had been sold to Derby County this season at £2m.
5. Sheyi Ojo : He was loaned out at Fulham this season.
6. Divock Origi : Origi was loaned out to Wolfsburg after he had not been getting enough playing time at the upfront for Liverpool.
7. Ryan Kent : The player was loaned out to the German side Freiburg this season.
Overall the performance of Liverpool was not good enough in the transfer window. They should buy some defenders in this window to be able to compete against the top quality sides. But in the attacking third the trio of Firmino, Mane and Salah will make them a strong contender for finishing at the top four this season.
I would rate the summer transfer window of Liverpool 6 out of 10 but they would be boosted morally that they didn’t lose Coutinho this summer despite strong interest from Barcelona through out the summer.
After a superb 4-0 win over Arsenal, the Reds followed it up with a 5-0 loss to Manchester City, though the red card had a key part to play in it. This inconsistency was what cost the Merseyside outfit an opportunity to make a major impact last term and needs to be rectified soon. They do have the players up front, hopefully, they can defend well too.